COVID-19 Rental Relief California

COVID-19 has had an impact on all of us, whether it was due to a medical event or a major financial crisis. Our state’s recovery is a critical priority, and we are committed to keeping families in their homes. We appreciate that California renters and landlords already have a lot on their plates. We want to make sure that renting a house isn’t on that list of worries.

Qualifying households can get rental assistance through the California COVID-19 Rent Relief program, which helps with both past-due and future rent payments. The federal Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021, which California Governor Gavin Newsom signed into law in January 2021, includes tenant (renter) protection regulations as well as money to support this program.

You may be qualified for a state-sponsored program in some situations, depending on the location of your rental property. Click on Apply Now to find out which program is the best fit for you.

Rental assistance irvine ca

More about the Program

  • Those who require assistance with outstanding or future rent or utilities, including landlords and tenants, can apply for free financial support.
  • Both landlords and tenants are urged to submit an application.
  • Applicants who meet the income eligibility requirements may be accepted regardless of their immigration status, and they will not be needed to provide proof of citizenship.
  • Assistance from the California COVID-19 Rent Relief program does not count as earned income (for renters), and it will have no impact on eligibility for any other state benefit assistance programs, such as CalFresh or CalWORKS, unless otherwise stated.
  • All applicant information is kept strictly confidential and will not be shared with anyone else.
  • Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year. Priority will be given to income-eligible households that are most at risk of being evicted from their homes.
  • The landlord and the tenant will both be advised of the next steps after an application has been successfully handled.

Paperwork required


You need ONE of the following;

  • If you were unemployed in 2020, your tax return will include a W2 and a 1099G.
  • Pay stubs from the most recent pay period
  • Verification of enrollment in state or federal subsidy programs, such as CalFresh or CalWORKS (your 2020 or 2021 acceptance or renewal letter is preferred).


  • On or after April 1, 2020, utility invoices or statements will be sent to you for any outstanding utility, water, trash, or internet bills.

    Assistance provided to tenants through this program is not counted as taxable income.

Ready to Apply? Click here