Idaho – Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP)

We are able to provide assistance with your rent as well as your utility costs!

You or your tenant may be eligible for short-term emergency assistance if you or your tenant are unable to pay rent or utilities as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak or the economic crisis that it caused.

Where to Begin and How to Do It

It is important that you collect the following information:

  • Documentation of one’s earnings,
  • If you have one, a copy of the lease agreement for the property.
  • A warning that you are behind on your rent or on your utility bills is considered a delinquent.
  • A signed copy of this eligibility form, which must be included in the submission,
  • A signed copy of this release form, which is included in the package,
  • Details about each member of the household, including:
  • Digital reproduction of an identification card issued by the government,
  • Landlord’s email address (If you don’t know your landlord’s email address, see the frequently asked questions at the bottom.)

Fill out the following basic application:

Do you need any help with the application that you submitted? Get in touch with the local group that serves as a partner:

  • The Intermountain Fair Housing Council can be reached at 208-383-0695 or toll-free at 1-800-717-0695. (all counties)
  • 208-244-5205 is the number to call for the Blaine County Charitable Fund.
  • Blaine, Camas, Cassia, Gooding, Jerome, Lincoln, Minidoka, and Twin Falls are all towns in the state of Idaho. Counties: 208-733-9351 South Central Community Action Partnership
  • WICAP Community Collaborative – 208-741-9055 Adams, Boise, Canyon, Elmore, Gem, Owyhee, Payette, Valley, and Washington Counties
  • Eastern Idaho Community Action Partnership – 208-522-5391 – Bonneville, Butte, Clark, Custer, Fremont, Jefferson, Lemhi, Madison, and Teton Counties


  • Is it feasible for me to receive assistance?

Your household must meet the following requirements to be eligible:

• You must be a resident of Idaho. (If you live in Ada County, you must apply here.)
• You must adhere to the program’s income requirements.
• Due to financial hardships brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic, be unable to pay rent or utilities.

In the context of the COVID-19 epidemic, what is “financial hardship”?

  • In the context of the COVID-19 epidemic, what exactly is meant by the phrase “financial hardship”?

The epidemic has created a variety of different types of financial hardships, some instances of which include becoming eligible for unemployment benefits, experiencing a decline in household income, accruing significant bills, and dealing with extreme financial problems.

Direct effects of the pandemic, such as an inability to work due to illness or quarantining; increased utility bills due to staying home during the pandemic; reduced hours and wages at work; or an inability to work due to a lack of childcare or children participating in virtual learning are just a few examples of the types of financial hardships that have arisen as a result of the pandemic.

Indirect repercussions of the pandemic, such as market conditions that produce increased prices for food and transportation, company layoffs, and rising housing expenses, are all examples of financial hardship caused by the pandemic.

  • What steps should I take to check the status of an application that I have already sent in?

You can check on the status of an application by logging back into the site where it was submitted using the same information that you used to register for the site. You will be able to read the information regarding the application’s status as well as information regarding the member of the HPP team who has been assigned to it. In the event that no one is assigned, this indicates that we have not yet reached the application that was waiting in the queue.

  • What should I do in the event that I am unable to locate the email address of my landlord (or renter, in the event that you are a landlord)?

On the application platform, tenant and landlord applications are matched using the applicants’ provided email addresses. If you are a tenant, you should check with your landlord to see if they have already registered for the portal. If they have, you will need to submit their email address in the area of the application where it asks for it. If you are a landlord, it is in your best interest to verify with your tenant that you have all of the required information. Both landlords and tenants, please check your entries twice to ensure there are no mistakes.

  • Will it affect my eligibility if I rent my apartment to another person?

The lease agreement cannot be negotiated with the renter of the rented space; rather, the agreement must be formed with the property owner or manager.

  • I am a homeowner who is having trouble paying our mortgage; would it be possible for you to assist me with this?

The Housing Preservation Program does not support homeowners, but it does assist tenants who are having financial issues as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak and are unable to pay their rent or electricity expenses. You can apply for assistance at this location if you own a property and have fallen behind on your mortgage payments as a result of the outbreak.

  • In what order are the applications prioritized?

When it comes to distributing resources among eligible households, the households with the greatest need are given priority. Priority is determined using the following criteria:

    • Those households with incomes less than 50% of the local median income
    • Households in which at least one person has been out of employment for at least ninety days in a row
    • Households that have received an eviction notice must quit their current location.

The remaining applications will be processed in the order in which they were received, taking both the date and time into consideration.

  • Is it possible to get help if I have a rent-to-own arrangement or own a mobile home?

Yes, if one of your family members:

    • Is not a signee or co-signer on the mortgage for the property
    • Does not hold the deed or title to the property.
    • Has not utilized the purchasing option. If you own a mobile home and must lease your lot, you may also be eligible for lot/space rent and/or utilities.
  • Is it feasible to seek more assistance if I’ve already received some?

Yes, however, you will need to submit a new application to be evaluated for additional assistance. Eligible households may get assistance with back rent and/or utilities, as well as up to three months’ rent and/or utilities in the future. Additional aid may be approved if a persistent need is established and eligibility has been re-determined.

  • What type of assistance can I expect?

The quantity of assistance received by each household will be determined by their circumstances. A household may only get help for a total of 15 months.

  • Despite the fact that I am not yet past due, the pandemic has caused me financial hardship. I know I won’t be able to pay my rent next month. Should I fill out an application?

After confirming your demonstrated risk and verifying your inability to pay upcoming rent, you will be assessed for potential rent/utility assistance. If you just need assistance with future rent, you must apply 30 days before the due date. This is done to provide precedence to candidates who are most in need.

  • Is it possible for you to make my rent payment today?

No, your application may take up to 7-10 days to be evaluated and processed. We will contact the application and payee after payment approval and issuance. Please allow for an additional 7-10 days for mail delivery.

  • Will you be responsible for the overdue fees?

Yes. It’s possible to get help to cover the costs of being late that aren’t excessive.

  • Are you willing to negotiate on my behalf with the utility company or the landlord?

No, Idaho Housing and Finance does not operate as a middleman between tenants and landlords or between tenants and utility companies. You might want to consult with an Idaho Legal Aid lawyer.

  • What payment methods does the landlord accept?

An electronic payment may be given if the payee is already established as a vendor for Idaho Housing. Checks will account for the vast bulk of payments. Payment should arrive within seven to ten days of getting notification that your application was approved.

  • Will properties that are eligible for the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit or other rental subsidies be eligible?

Renters who receive a federal rental assistance payment or subsidy (e.g., Section 8, Housing Choice Voucher, CARES Act) are eligible for Housing Preservation Program assistance for the amount of unsubsidized rent that the renter must pay. Renters who do not qualify for a federal rental subsidy but live in an income-based property with affordable rentals (such as a Tax Credit property) are also eligible for assistance.

  • What areas of law do you practice?

Except for Ada County, assistance is available in all Idaho counties. Residents of Ada County should apply through the Boise City/Ada County Housing Authorities, which can be accessed here.

  • Non-citizens can apply, right?


  • If I don’t know when I’ll start making money or when I’ll be financially comfortable again, would it affect whether or not I’m qualified for the program?

Yes. There will be no need to provide evidence that you are able to pay your upcoming housing costs.

  • Will you assist in defraying the cost of completing a rental application?

This is not true. The program is designed to assist households in meeting their existing financial commitments, such as rent and utility payments, as well as security deposits on occasion.

  • Despite the fact that I have brought my account current, my landlord is attempting to evict me. Can they pull it off?

Idaho Housing does not provide legal services. Contact Idaho Legal Aid if you require legal assistance.

  • Will your funds pay for a motel stay if I need to stay somewhere temporarily?

Yes, if the household has been temporarily or permanently relocated from its primary dwelling and does not have a permanent residence elsewhere. Documentation of the hotel/motel stay, as well as all other associated criteria, is also necessary. The nightly rate for temporary hotel/motel stays cannot exceed $100, and extra charges to the room (e.g., room service, internet) are not allowed (before taxes and fees). Hotel/motel operators should contact the Housing Preservation Program if a potential guest indicates that the program is willing to assist with a temporary accommodation prior to the visit.

  • Can I get a refund for a payment I made but couldn’t afford?


  • What if I don’t have a phone number where people may reach me for more information?

Candidates must be accessible by phone or email. After submitting your application, you must check your email often for our messages, including the spam/junk folder. You can authorize Idaho Housing to communicate with a representative of yours who has a valid phone number or email address.

  • What documents do I need to provide?

Applicants must provide a copy of their lease agreement, a Certification of Program Eligibility, proof of past-due rent or utilities or an eviction notice, proof of income, a government-issued ID, and a Release of Information.

  • What if I don’t have all of the necessary verification documents?

You may submit an application without submitting all of the required documentation. However, the screening process will very definitely be lengthened as a result of this. We will contact each applicant within seven business days to seek any missing information or papers. Please confirm that your voicemail box is set up and that you can receive messages after completing your application, and that you check your email regularly for our correspondence, including the spam/junk folder.

  • I am currently unemployed or have recently lost my job. I’m not sure how I’ll demonstrate it.

You can confirm that you do not have any revenue within the application.

  • Can I apply for both rent and utility assistance in the same application?


  • Can you still help me if I don’t have a copy of my lease?

A lease agreement is a legally binding contract that must be signed. You may still apply for financial assistance. You should, however, request a copy of your lease agreement from your landlord. We will contact you within seven days of receiving your application to get a copy of your lease agreement. Please confirm that your voicemail box is set up and that you can receive messages after completing your application, and that you check your email regularly for our correspondence, including the spam/junk folder.

  • I haven’t received an eviction notice yet, and I don’t expect to. Will showing you my rental ledger suffice as a statement from my landlord?

There is no need to serve an eviction notice. A notification from your landlord stating the amount of past-due rent is acceptable proof (and for how long). A ledger created by the renter is insufficient documentation.

  • I require help with my application. So, what should I do next?

In addition to the list of partner organizations at the top of the website, local housing authorities, community action agencies, utility companies, libraries, your landlord, churches, and local government offices may be able to assist you in scanning and submitting evidence to the portal. The service is set up to take phone calls from folks in need of assistance. Simply call 1-855-452-0801 and request that a customer care person submit your application on your behalf. They’ll tell you what information and documents you’ll need to seek treatment. They will also instruct you on how to submit your documentation.

Disclaimer: Program parameters may be supplemented or amended based on additional instructions from the Secretary of the Treasury, as determined by Idaho Housing and Finance. The U.S. Department of the Treasury granted the Idaho Housing and Finance Association federal award number 20-1892-0-1-806 to support the entirety or a portion of this project.

Your Private Specifics: To learn more about the security of your personal and financial information, go here (in Spanish).

Sub grantees‘ resources



Harris County Rental Assistance (Landlords and Tenants)

About the Harris County Rental Assistance Program The Houston-Harris County...

The Camden County, NJ Rental Assistance

The Camden County, NJ Rental Assistance Camden County Rental Assistance...

Montgomery, Alabama

Montgomery, Alabama Rental Assistance Both landlords and tenants have access...

Sioux Falls/Minnehaha County Rental Assistance Programs

Are you behind on your rent payments in Sioux...


Don't miss

What Is ERAP? Understanding Rental Assistance Programs

Through the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act...

Texas Renters Relief-What You Need to Know

Texas Renters Relief-Emergency Rental Assistance Funds Need help understanding the...

Harris County Rental Assistance (Landlords and Tenants)

About the Harris County Rental Assistance Program The Houston-Harris County Emergency Rental Assistance program can only accept applications for renters who have actively been notified...

The Camden County, NJ Rental Assistance

The Camden County, NJ Rental Assistance Camden County Rental Assistance Program helps low-income residents of Camden and surrounding areas. This includes Chery Hill and borders...

Montgomery, Alabama

Montgomery, Alabama Rental Assistance Both landlords and tenants have access to the ERAMCo website, where they can register and apply for a rental unit online. Beginning...


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here