Marin County

Emergency Rental Assistance Program in Marin County

Rental assistance programs in California

Apply Now to Avoid Eviction

Rental Assistance applications are still being accepted.

The application process is open for unpaid rent and/or utilities from April 2020-December 2021. Currently, back rent is being paid, and at 100%. Payment for the following is in development, and will be announced soon:

  • Compensation for money borrowed to pay rent and for future rent
  • Past grants for 80% or 25% of back rent will be “topped off” automatically to 100%
  • Utility payments 

There is help available[External] to fill out an application.
Please email Rental Assistance, or call (415) 473-2223. Requests for disability accommodations may be made by phoning (415) 473-2223 (Voice), CA Relay 711 or by email. Please do not call the line more than once, as it slows down the process.  Staff will be available to assist applicants who do not have access to a computer or smart phone, or need additional assistance.  
This program is a partnership between the County of Marin and local community-based organizations, including Adopt A Family, Canal Alliance, Community Action Marin, North Marin Community Services, Ritter Center, St. Vincent de Paul Society, West Marin Community Services and Women Helping All People.
To qualify for this assistance, applicants must:

  • Live in Marin County (this program is open to all Marin residents regardless of citizenship status)
  • Be in a low-income household. In Marin County, a low-income household is defined as a household that earns below the following by household size:
Household Size Low-Income Household Annual Income (updated 04/12/2021)
1 $102,450
2 $117,100
3 $131,750
4 $146,350
5 $158,100
6 $169,800
7 $181,500

Please note that this income will be determined by the household’s current income, as opposed to annual income for tax purposes.
Needed Documents
For this program, you will need to upload a copy of the following documents:

  • Copy of your photo ID. You can satisfy this requirement using one (1) of the following:
    • Current Driver’s License with photograph (from the U.S. or any of its territories);
    • Non-Driver’s Identification Card with photograph (from the U.S. or any of its territories);
    • Passport;
    • Identification from County of Origin with photograph (non-U.S.);
    • U.S. Permanent Resident Card;
    • U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (good for 10 years after date of issue);
    • Learner Permit with photograph (from the U.S. or any of its territories);
    • Work Identification with photograph.
  • Income Documentation. You can satisfy this requirement using one (1) of the following:
    • Pay stub(s) (minimum 30 days);
    • Unemployment award letter;
    • W-2;
    • Bank statement (reflecting salary or reduction in salary);
    • Letter from employer (reflecting income level, decrease in income level or layoff);
    • Form 1040 as filed with IRS;
    • Benefits award letter (social security, VA, etc.);
    • Self-declaration statement (can be used if self-employed or if other documents cannot be produced).
  • Proof of Tenancy. You can satisfy this requirement using one (1) of the following:
    • First page of current lease;
    • Utility bill showing address;
    • Notice of past due rent;
    • Eviction notice;
    • Self-declaration (if other documents cannot be produced).


Apply for California rental assistance

Landlords Apply Here

Tenants Apply Here