Monterey County

Emergency Rental Assistance Program in Monterey County

Rental assistance programs in California

Apply Now to Avoid Eviction

Using state and federal relief funding, Monterey County SB91 Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) will distribute $28 million of rent and utility assistance to low-income eligible households located in Monterey County that are facing housing instability due to direct or indirect financial impact from the COVID-19 crisis. This support is not a loan and eligible tenants receiving this rental and/or utility support are not required or expected to pay it back.

Who is Eligible?

To be eligible for the rental and utility support through the Monterey County ERAP, residents need to meet the following requirements and provide the needed documents:

  • Tenants living within the County of Monterey, regardless of immigration status
  • Tenants may have formal or informal lease arrangements
  • At or below 80% Area Median Income of Monterey County

*Program will prioritize funding for very low-income tenants (at or below 50% AMI), as well as those who are at immediate risk of homelessness or have rental arrears



Tenants have suffered a COVID-19-related financial distress that caused them to be unable to pay their rent after April 1, 2020. A COVID-19-related financial distress can include any of the following:

  • Loss of income caused by the pandemic
  • Increased out-of-pocket expenses directly related to performing essential work during the pandemic
  • Increased expenses directly related to the health impact of the COVID-19 pandemic
  • Childcare responsibilities or responsibilities to care for an elderly, disabled, or sick family member directly related to the COVID-19 pandemic that limits the tenant’s ability to earn income or increased costs of these responsibilities
  • Other circumstances related to the COVID-19 pandemic that have reduced a tenant’s income or increased a tenant’s expenses

If you have any questions related to eligibility, the application process, or your tenant protections, please visit our FAQs page.
Required Paperwork
Applicants must provide the following to apply:

  • Documentation of housing or financial instability resulting from loss or reduction in income due to COVID-19
  • Proof of income eligibility (one of the following: 2020 tax return, recent paystub, W-2, bank statement, unemployment award/benefit, hour reduction notice from employer)
  • Government-issued ID (from any country) that includes a photo, name, and birthday for the head of household
  • Rent due notices

Information for the Landlords
As of May 25, both tenants and landlords can apply directly. If eligible, the landlord will be notified by one of the partnering agencies to provide the required paperwork(s) stated below. 
A formal lease is not required, however, assistance must be paid directly to the landlord. The property landlord must provide the following forms:

  • Government-issued ID
  • Tax info, such as a W9

Program Limitations

  • Rental assistance will be paid directly to the landlord
  • Past due rent plus utility assistance may not exceed 12 months of assistance per tenant.
  • Rent arrears must be paid before future payments
  • As of June 29, 2021, rent can be paid at 100%. If the tenant has already received a portion of their rent, they may contact the Agency that assisted them to request the remaining balance paid to the landlord. 
  • All rent accrued after April 1, 2020 is eligible. 

Partnering Agencies

14 community service organizations and local agencies have been awarded rent and utility funds for distribution to eligible tenants:

  • City of Greenfield: (831) 674-5591 ext. 2101
  • City of Salinas: (831) 758-7901
  • City of Gonzales: (831) 675-5000
  • City of Seaside: (831) 899-6772
  • City of Monterey: (831) 646-3995
  • City of Soledad: (831) 223-5178
  • King City: (831) 385-3281
  • Salvation Army: (831) 899-4988
  • Goodwill Central Coast: (831) 287–2350 Ext. 8361
  • Monterey Peninsula College Foundation (Students only): (831) 655-5507
  • Hartnell College Foundation: (831) 353-2280
  • Housing Resource Center: (831) 424-9186 (Landlord applications only)
  • Central Coast Energy Services: (888) 728-3637
  • North County Recreation and Park District: (831) 200-3639


Apply for California rental assistance

Landlords Apply Here

Tenants Apply Here