Bucks County Emergency Rental Assistance Program
Bucks County tenants who have been impacted by COVID-19 are eligible to receive rental and utility assistance through the BERA Program. Applicants are urged to include both renters and their landlords in the application process; either party can initiate the process. Landlords have the ability to submit a single application and invite many renters to participate in the program at the same time. Landlords are required to produce a W-9 form, as well as a ledger/statement that documents the amount of rent that is owed. To save time and money, landlords should use a single application to invite many renters rather than filling out separate applications for each tenant. Please keep in mind that while landlords can submit an application, the application cannot be completed without tenant involvement.
You must be in one of the following housing circumstances to be deemed an eligible Bucks County tenant:
- Renting a unit
- Renting a manufactured (mobile) home and/or the property on which the movable home is located.
- For the past 90 days, you’ve been living in a hotel or motel as your principal residence.
- Renting a home under a “rent-to-own” agreement, in which the tenant has the option (but not the requirement) to buy the home at the end of the lease period.
- Displaced renter seeking aid with relocation (move-in) for a specific rental apartment.
The BERA program is unable to assist with mortgage payments.
To apply, tenants will be required to provide the following documentation. You can still apply if you lack any or all of this documentation. For assistance, please call the BERA helpline at 888-50-BUCKS:
- Adult (18+) household members must be identified.
- Income from the previous 30 days (check stubs, proof of unemployment, social security payments, etc.) or a completed 2020 Federal Tax Return
- Assets – latest 30 days bank statement
- If available, the most recent rent statement
- If you’re needing utility help, you’ll need to bring your utility bills.
- Lease/Rental Contract
- Eviction notice/late notice (if one has been given)
The online application below contains additional information, terms, and conditions. Please do not submit numerous applications as this may cause the evaluation process to take longer.
If a BERA candidate is denied admission to the program, they have the option to appeal the decision to their assigned BERA Case Manager through phone or email.
Procedure for Submitting an Application
Click the link below to begin the application. Note: Because the County’s online portal is powered by Neighborly Software, applicants will get an e-mail from Neighborly confirming their registration.
Priority will be given to eligible applicants with household incomes of 50 percent or less of the area median income (AMI) OR 1 or more members of the household are unemployed as of the date of the application for assistance and have not worked in the previous 90 days.
Please contact the BERA Helpline at 888-50-BUCKS if you have any questions or need assistance completing this application. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Bucks County and Bucks County Housing Link Partners collaborate on the BERA Program.