Charleston County – Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP)

Charleston County Emergency Rental Assistance

The Emergency Rental Assistance program, which is funded by the United States Department of Treasury, provides assistance to households that are unable to pay their rent or utility bills as a result of financial difficulties caused by the COVID-19 outbreak. Charleston County renters and landlords who meet the qualifications for the program can submit an application by visiting the Renter or Landlord Application page.

The county will resume accepting applications on March 1, 2022, with the deadline being March 1, 2022.

Application and Information for Renters

You may be facing eviction if you are a tenant who has noticed a decrease in your income and believes it is a result of COVID-19. This program can be a great match for your needs and goals.

Rent will not be paid in excess of the amount of real rent owed by the applicant under the terms of the program.

The landlord will be reimbursed for the rent in full and immediately.

Payments for Utility Assistance will be provided directly to the utility companies in question.

Eligibility for Participation in the Program

Rental assistance can be beneficial to both landlords and tenants at the same time. When it comes to applying for help, both parties are eligible; nevertheless, the renter’s eligibility is decided by his or her address and capacity to meet the following federal requirements:

When the following elements are present, the renter is at risk of being homeless, experiencing housing instability, or living in hazardous conditions:

  • Notice of eviction has been served.
  • A notice of a power outage has been issued.
  • Notice of non-payment of past-due rent
  • Utility bills that are past due are sent out.
  • Any other signs of unstable housing, as well as harmful or unhealthy living conditions, should be considered.

As a result of the COVID-19 outbreak, the renter or a member of the renter’s household is unemployed or has experienced financial troubles.

The renter’s household income is less than or equal to 80 percent of the Area Median Income in the area in which the tenant lives (AMI)

How to Submit an Application

  • Fill out the Neighborly online application form.


  • For the applicant, co-applicant, and all adults in the household, a current driver’s license or other government-issued picture ID is required (the driver’s license must match the address where the applicant lives and is seeking rental assistance).
  • It is necessary to provide a copy of the most recent lease or rental agreement.
  • Eviction Notice (notice of eviction) (if applicable)
  • Demonstration of financial resources:
    • Return on Federal Income Taxes for 2020
    • Documentation demonstrating each family member’s source of income (Alimony, Child Support, Gross Pay, Investment Income, No Income, Pension, Retirement, Social Security, Unemployment Comp)
  • Attest to the existence of supporting documents demonstrating COVID-19-related hardship.
  • If you are requesting utility assistance, please bring your most recent utility bills (water, electric, and gas).
  • Notice of Disconnection from the Internet (if any)
  • Other housing assistance award letters/checks are also available (if applicable)

Renter Application 

Application and Information for Landlords

Procedures for Submitting an Application

Fill out the Neighborly online application to learn how to become a landlord. Registering is possible at any time, including before receiving a rental application from a prospective tenant.

What information do I need to provide in order to finish my registration?
You must submit your W-9 form in order to register as a landlord. Once your registration has been approved, you will be notified by email that it has been approved.

  • To qualify, you must either own rental property or provide a copy of the property’s management agreement.
  • Evidence of compliance with the business licensing standards set forth by your local municipality
  • It is necessary to give a copy of the most recent rental ledger.
  • A copy of the tenant lease is requested if the renter has not already provided one with the application.

    Landlord Application

Click here to learn more about how to find new rental housing after being evicted or temporarily displaced.
HUD and SC Housing both have information for homeowners looking for mortgage assistance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Emergency Rental Assistance Programs